Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Dinning Table Redo

It's been too long. I've been prolonging posting about my dining table, wanting to get a better beauty shot, but keep forgetting, so here goes. 
This was another estate sale find, I can't remember the exact costs, less than $300 after paint:) The table has 6 chairs, and this was a daunting task. The rails on the chair backs were very time consuming, I painted for way too long. Next time I will know what type of chair to look for, but until then I am very happy with my table. It is the backdrop for most of my photos, and I do 90% of my work, eating, crafting, editing, etc... right here and sometimes all at once.
I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White for the base and the chairs and a dark stain for the top. This stain turned out so beautifully, and really shows the grain of the wood. My favorite tool for this redo was Denatured Alcohol (DA). This and steal wool made this table top perfect. DA is very strong and can ruin furniture if you are not careful, but it can also help clean up mistakes with stain, or just thin out spots you don't care for.



Oh, you gotta love those cushions:) "Before"

The "After" this was this past Thanksgiving 2012.

Pretty flowers from my parents for a great center piece!

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Furniture Feature Fridays

5 comments:

  1. Hi Brooke, I found you over at Elizabeth & Co. Your table turned out beautifully! I love, love love the dark stained top. Do you mind sharing the stain you used? It looks fabulous against the contrast of the crisp white. And I know what you mean about the spindles. I've painted *ONE* of our old kitchen chairs, and holy cow, that was a job! Maybe a sprayer would be easier? And I've never used DA, but I'll have to remember your tip. Great job!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried my paint sprayer, but I've never mastered it, and just got drips. Thanks so much for the note, and compliment. I used Minwax Dark Walnut stain, and Poly on the top. I used wax for the finish on the base. Thank you thank you:) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just inherited my in-laws table from the late 60's and was trying to figure out what color to re-do it. It's that yucky orange-y color. I really like the Dark Walnut that you did your table top. I'm debating between old ocher or old white for the base. Thanks for the inspiration! It turned out great!
    Angie (visiting from Miss Mustard Seed)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet compliment, thank you so much. Colors are always such a struggle for me to choose, so I understand your debate. No matter what color I am sure you will Love your "new" table.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful....Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete