Monday, April 22, 2013

DIY Large Monogram

 This was a super fun/challenging project. I'm sure you have seen the large wooden monograms for front doors/wreathes/mantles where ever:) Well, I set out to make my own. Now, I have used a skill saw, but I am by no means ready for that challenge. So the next best thing.... foam board and a hot knife.
I have been eyeing a hot knife, but didn't know what I would use it for until this project. A hot knife is like a electric exacto knife/caroling iron with a blade. They come with different ends and even a few decorative accents you could burn into wood.
So, using Monogram KK Font (free from dafont.com) I made my monogram (for my friends wedding). Then, I used a projector and traced it onto a foam board. Using my hot knife I began cutting. It was completely cut out in no time, so I did a few. I suggest practicing your cuts on empty board space. My third one was the best, and I cut from the back of the monogram so that I had a nice shaddow.
I spray painted the board after with no problem. Sometimes foam board will warp it's shape so have a easy hand with the paint. Then, the glitter. I started with decoupage, but my last one I learned it was best to use spray glue then glitter. Honestly the glitter was the hardest part, making sure you get every curve. I would love to use German glitter glass, but this project is to big (that's too costly for me) so I went with the always dependable Martha Stewart fine glitter. It is my most favorite brand of glitter to use.
Of course, I questioned my work, felt it was bumpy or whatever, but the bride LOVED it! We put on on the wall behind the buffet and the other on the DJ table. With all that glitter the lights made it look amazing!

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

2 comments:

  1. This looks great! Had no clue a hot knife existed! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I only recently discovered it, and I love how easy it is to use. I purchased mine at Michael's for $30.

      Delete