Friday, March 8, 2013

First Home Post: Master Bedroom

Well, I have decided to start blogging my home decor, craft projects, food, parties and whatever else comes up. I bought my first home December 2010, and since then have enjoyed the living in beauty process. Of course I am a youth director and therefore do not have a decorators budget by any means, but I have learned to watch my favorite bloggers, and shop slowly. I have learned to fight the "I must have it now" urge, and wait for great pieces to come my way. I have also learned to "google" every broken down item/light fixture change/appliance installation, and not only have I not burned my house down, but I have saved a lot of money. 

So, to kick us off I will start with the first room I finished in my house, and most likely my favorite the Master Bedroom.The first thing to go was the popcorn ceiling, then we painted everything brown white, and walls Shark Loop. Replace the fan with a chandelier and light switch with a dimmer. Dimmers are a MUST!
Here is the before. The entire house was yellow with brown trim, and lovely popcorn ceiling with gold flakes. Thank you to the previous owners for the amazing bamboo floors!

The after. My only large purchase for my home was this bedroom furniture from Hanks fiiiiiine furniture. I got a great deal on bedding from Kohls, it's a 19 piece set king size and cost $160 (I will never find that again).  The dress form "Victoria" was found at TJ Maxx, and I had to get her because she matched my room.

My rug came from Target. The really wonderful vintage looking fan came from Wal-Mart, and is a very powerful little thing. Doug's Dog bed came from Pet Smart, which I spent too much on but he was sick at the time so he deserved it.

I have never been a "blue" person, but for some reason everything in my house is blue. The paint color here is "Shark Loop" by Valspar. You will see runners on my dresser and chest, I mostly bought these on clearance or at estate sales to prevent scratches. My lamps are from Target.

Chandelier was purchased from Overstock.com I learned from a former employer that light fixtures can change everything about a room, and chandeliers can do this at a low cost. The Ceiling Medallion around the chandelier came from lowes, it was 12.99 and worth every penny.

This inspiration came from Pottery Barn. Unfortunately I cannot afford Pottery Barn frames, or photo hanging extenders. The next best thing...Wal-Mart frames. I used small pieces of wood and screwed them into the wall, then painted the whole thing the same color as the wall and hung the photo as normal. This is what allows for the photos to stack on top of one another. Photos all came out of my parents basement, some I had to enlarge, but other than that were free.









, Mommy Archive

9 comments:

  1. Your rooms looks awesome. I would love it if you would share this over at my link party.

    http://ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/tuesday-link-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I just starting blogging and appreciate the feedback. I'm all linked up, and look forward to following your blog.

      Delete
  2. Looks amazing. I really like the gallery frames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I was so happy when I found inexpensive frames to make this happen.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful!! I love the colors- so relaxing! Id love for you to come over and link up, we party every Friday!

    http://www.lifewelive4.com/2013/03/love-it-list-it-linky-party-3.html

    :laura:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the comment! I'm all linked up, I just started so my buttons are a little wonky:) Thanks for the invite.

      Delete
  4. Im featuring you tonite!! Thanks for linking up---our party goes live at 9pm, hope to see you there! :) Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job - love the gallery.

    I would love for you to link up at the Mommy Archive - we're focusing on bedrooms this week, Alice x

    ReplyDelete